Friday, January 9, 2015

Adopting A Wolf

This December, thanks to someone very dear to me, I was able to fulfill a childhood dream..
I adopted a wolf.

His name is Grendel.
(Source)
I want to clarify...this doesn't mean I have a wolf loping around my apartment, sleeping at the foot of my bed, or annoying my neighbors with it's howling (though I imagine it would make less of a ruckus than they do most days). In fact, my wolf lives quite a distance away from me at a place called Wolf Hollow in Ipswich, MA where he lives with nine other wolves. As stated on their website, Wolf Hollow is a non profit organization dedicated to teaching people about the wolf and its importance as a keystone species. Founded in 1990, Wolf Hollow offers people the chance to observe gray wolves in as natural a setting as possible.

The first time I visited Wolf Hollow I was in the first grade. It was part of a class trip. When we arrived, I'll admit didn't know what to expect. I had never seen a wolf before and my knowledge of wolves was confined to fairy-tales involving girls with a penchant for wearing red. After waiting a few minutes, my classmates and I were herded along a fenced-in enclosure. It wasn't until I sat in their small wooden amphitheater just outside the enclosure that I was able to see the wolves through the fence. What I saw that day amazed me. Any fear I felt was quickly replaced by fascination as I watched the wolves interact with each other as well as the 1 or 2 Wolf Hollow volunteers who actually stood amongst them and spoke to my class from inside the enclosure.

What I learned that day is that there are very few differences between a wolf pack and a human family. Both operate on a system of mutual respect and trust. In one wolf pack you have a variety of different personalities working together to support each other through good times as well as bad. While wolves do operate on a hierarchy (omega, beta, alpha), a single wolf may assume many different roles throughout its life depending on a variety of factors. Ultimately, what I took away from the experience was that the wolf is a very misunderstood creature whose presence in the wild is not only important...but extremely necessary.

I visited Wolf Hollow again in September 2014. Not much had really changed over the years in regards to it's setting. The fencing around the enclosure had changed to offer greater privacy and security for the wolves and another enclosure was added. What was new though was that, in 2011, five new wolf puppies had been introduced to Wolf Hollow and raised by the alpha female Nina. However, by the time I got there, the puppies had grown into juveniles. Once again, I was entranced by each of their unique personalities.


(Source: From left to right: Arrow, Argus, Neveah, Linnea, Grendel)

 Arrow: he seemed a bit cautious at first but as the presentation of the new wolves continued he appeared more comfortable. It wasn't until feeding time came that he showed his place in the hierarchy as he was one of the first to eat. By the time I make my next visit, he might take his place as Alpha

Argus: A very quiet but handsome wolf . He hung back for most of the presentation with Linnea (whose basically his twin).

Neveah: Beta Female. She was very shy, only showing up when it was time to eat. Otherwise, she spent most of her time in another part of the large enclosure where the bushes shielded her from view. What was hysterical though was that, when the volunteers brought a box of fresh meat for the wolves,... she grabbed the box and ran away with it!

Linnea: Like her brother, Linnea appears to be shy and quiet. Through most of the presentation she was sitting a good distance away from the fence, sunbathing and eying us from afar.

Grendel: He is a potential Alpha, however, he might be settling into the role of 2nd in command. He stands out a bit from the rest of his litter-mates because he is very lanky. Though his fur is now silver, his snout is mostly black. I cannot tell you why he stood out to me so much...perhaps I have a thing for underdogs..or in this case, the "under-wolf".

There are other wolves at Wolf Hollow who are just as fascinating as the ones I already talked about. There is the alpha female Nina,  the independent Jelly, Nina's sister Osa, and a wolf-dog hybrid named Bear (that's right.. a hybrid!).

So what does it mean to adopt a wolf at Wolf Hollow?
It means you offer a donation to Wolf Hollow which goes directly to the care of your adopted wolf. You can also adopt several wolves or even the entire pack if you desire. Wolf Hollow offers several different types of donation packages. There are a variety of different benefits to donating including free admission, merchandise, as well as a picture of your adopted wolf (mine is sitting in a frame on my bureau)! For more info, Check out the Wolf Hollow Facebook Page! (click here)

So if you are looking to take your little ones someplace brilliant, go on a unique date, or just looking for a truly wonderful experience with one of natures most majestic creatures, I give Wolf Hollow my highest recommendation.

Go. You wont regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment