Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Casual Workplace Cosplay: Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite

 First, let me offer a little intro. When  I first got the idea to do a series of "Casual Workplace Cosplay" posts on my blog, I'll admit, I had no idea how the heck I was going to pull it off.  Most outfits from anime, comic books or even video games are often so elaborate that they can only be shown off at places like Comic-Con. How could I manage to create an outfit that was true to the source material yet still make it workplace appropriate? I was determined though...I had to get the creative juices flowing and create something that my fellow nerds would appreciate and, hopefully, wear. Why should Cosplay be limited to special events right? Why can't we show off our nerdy side and embody the characters we know and love, even when we are sitting in a cubicle?

I got a lot of great feedback from you guys as to which Cosplay I should begin with (suggestions I will most definitely be using in future posts). But for me, there was only one choice....mostly because I already had the outfit:

From Irrational Games'  award winning video game....

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite.

"Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt."
 (P.S. If you want a summary of what the game is about, click here)
Bioshock Infinite: Elizabeths by Irishhips

 I have been obsessed with this game since I saw the first saw the first screenshots. The visual design is incredible and the story even more so. The outfit I created is kind of a combination of the three Elizabeth's you meet in the video game (hint: the game involves a bit time travel) . I wanted to stick with the color scheme of blue and white and keep the basic structure of white top, blue skirt, black boots. I also added a little jacket which reminded me of the one she wears throughout most of the game (although with shorter sleeves).
Here is the finished product.

 I have actually had all of these pieces in my wardrobe for quite a while. Initially, I entertained the idea of going out and buying new items, but I thought the ones I already had were perfect. They have a contemporary, timeless feel to them. Plus, what's the point of spending excess money when I already have what I need?

 
Looking at different pictures of Elizabeth I noticed that, although her clothes change during the course of the game, they all have a very tailored look to them. This was perfect for creating a cosplay that is workplace friendly.



The setting for these pictures was the tower at Quabbin Resevoir in Massachusetts. In the game, you first encounter Elizabeth in a tower in the floating city of Columbia. Needless to say, this was the perfect place to shoot! :)

Sorry for all the wrinkles, I suck at ironing...
For those of you that have played the game, I'm sure you know that Elizabeth's main outfit is a white corset and a long blue skirt. Since a corset is definitely not workplace appropriate, I opted instead for this white sleeveless button up. It went very well with the blue midi skirt I had.



When it came to the shoes, I went  with a very simple black ankle high boots.


As for accessories,  I went with this rather unique medallion which is actually a quarter that's been laser-cut. It was perfect as it had that same vintage Americana feel that is so prominent in the game itself. It also reminded me of Songbird, the clockwork creature that guards Elizabeth in the tower.


Sooo windy! But I had to do one shot outside at least :)
I hope you enjoyed this first installment of my "Casual Workplace Cosplay" series! More to come soon enough :) Please feel free to shoot me some suggestions in the comments!

Photography by Scott Kurland

Jacket// (Similar)
Top: Target //(Similar) (Similar) (Similar)
Skirt: Comme Toi //(Similar) (Similar) (Similar)
Shoes: Forever21// (Similar) (Similar) (Similar)
Necklace: Handmade// (Similar)

Much Love,
Hayleigh

8 comments:

  1. Hi Hayleigh. I just wanted to let you know I can't see any of your pictures. I can see the top image and that is it. None of you showing off your fab outfit. I looked on my iPad and phone. It happened to me the other day I just deleted and then reposted the pics. Looking forward to seeing the post in all its glory. Charlie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, thanks for responding. I have been playing around with it since last night but I think I finally figured it out! Let me know if it worked? :) xo

      Delete
    2. Yay I can now see you in all you casual cosplay glory. It is a great outfit. Love the attention to detail. A smart work outfit with a secret nerdy twist! Love it.

      Delete
  2. The same as Charlotte to me. Looks like the image links are broken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ravanel! I beleive I might have fixed the problem! Let me know if you can see the images :) Thanks!

      Delete
    2. They're there, and they look great! Awesome job on this outfit. :D

      Delete
  3. Images don't work for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I might have solved my technical difficulties :) Let me know and I hope you enjoy the post! <3

      Delete