Monday, March 2, 2015

How To Tastefully Geek-Up Your Workspace

 I don't know if its because of my artistic temperament or its simply a Libra thing, but its always been extremely important to me that I feel comfortable in whatever space I claim as my own. This means that, be it desk or bedroom, my inner interior designer will take over and start changing things to suit my own personal aesthetic which, weirdly enough,  lies somewhere at the intersection of whimsical, nerdy and contemporary. Growing up I was very fortunate to have parents that gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted with my bedroom... including painting a mural on my door. Now that I am older and have even more freedom, I find myself devoting even more time to finding bits and pieces that I can use to dress up whatever area I occupy.

Since I will be starting a new job soon (hurray!), I thought it might be fun to do a post about creating an ideal workspace that tastefully shows off your inner geek. After all, if most of your day is spent in a cubicle, its important that you create a space you actually enjoy working in. Unless of course you are a minimalist who prefers to focus their creative energy elsewhere...nothing wrong with that. :)

Dressing up a cubicle is challenging . You don't have much space to work with and, depending on where you work, your creativity might be restricted to a few items. Furthermore, as most jobs require you work in close quarters with others, you have to be careful not to go overboard when it comes to bringing in items that suit your personality. However, if you have a serious geeky side like me, designing your workspace is easy because you can incorporate any number of items across a wide spectrum (especially technology!). Whether it be the mug you put your morning coffee in or the mouse pad you use, creating a geeky workspace can be a fun process.

Here are a few ideas for you to transform your workspace from boring and drab to a nerds paradise!

1. These awesome Test Tubes for organizing desk supplies
For the science geek in your life.    Lab-solutely Organized Desk Supply Set, #ModCloth
(Source)
I cant believe I never thought of this! This is perfect for anyone working in a science-related field or for anyone looking to creatively organize those pesky paper clips. This particular set is available from ModCloth and it comes fully stocked with the supplies shown according to the reviews. But, in my opinion, its a bit pricy. If you are determined enough I'm sure you could find the supplies to make a cheaper version. 

2. Make a Nerdy Terrarium!
Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 1.28.37 PM
(Source)
Why settle for a boring office plant when you could have an awesome terrarium with stuff from your favorite fandom inside?! I particularly like this doctor who-inspired terrarium shown above which also comes with a DIY description on this lovely blog I found. I also found pictures of of some other geeky terrariums inspired by Star Wars, The Hobbit and Adventure Time. I want to make one with a Totoro in it :)

3.  Lego Calendar
(Source)


I don't care who you are you never outgrow playing with Legos! They make everything awesome (see what I did there?). Basically, this puzzle calendar gives you an excuse to play with Legos everyday. What could be better than that?

4. Tetris Desk Lamp
(Source)
Want a cool desk lamp that will save space? This Tetris lamp is the perfect choice. Actually, thinking about it, anything with a ton of color in it is a good choice for an office.
5. Game of Thrones Letter Openers
(Source)


 These letter openers inspired by swords from Game of Thrones will help you open the company mail and feel like a bad-ass at the same time! I think my weapon of choice would have to be Jon Snow's sword "Longclaw".

6.  Frame Fandom Artwork
Sherlock Poster, Art Print
(Source)
I am LOVING this art print someone did of my favorite show, Sherlock. Its simple yet creative and it reminds me of so many of my favorite moments from the show itself. It just fills my heart with glee.  Having something like this like this to look at in the workplace is a good idea especially when I start to feel really stressed. Or at the very least, it will help remind me to visit my mind palace when I'm faced with a problem I don't know how to solve. I highly recommend framing a bit of artwork from your favorite Fandom and sticking it in your cubicle.

7. Grab Yourself a Geek-Chic Mug
Doctor Who "Good cup of tea" Tenth Doctor Quote Mug with Sonic Screwdriver and TARDIS - Hand-painted, square white cup
(Source)
It doesn't matter if you drink coffee or tea at work, what does matter is the mug you use to drink it! Ok, a little dramatic there...but seriously, there is nothing I like more than typing away on my computer with a steaming cup of whatever nearby and I'm sure I'm not the only one. What's even better is that the mug I use has a design or quote on it that makes me smile. The mug shown above with a quote from the Tenth Doctor is a subtle way I can show off my Whovian pride at work.

 Okay! Thats all the suggestions I have for this post. Feel free to let me know in the comments if you have any other ideas, or if you plan on incorporating one from this post into your workspace. :)

Much Love,
Hayleigh

10 comments:

  1. Cute! I have a Lord of the Rings Sting letter opener that I use. I've also been waiting months to make a few geeky terrariums myself! I want a set of 3 larger ones for the house, but we plan on moving this summer, so figured I wait until after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jessica! And good luck with your move :)

      Delete
  2. Love these ideas! I am getting a new desk soon, and this is great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! :) What item from my list did you like the best?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I had a lot of fun searching for the items to put in this post.

      Delete
  5. I would have NEVER thought of the test tube storage! I LOVE IT! Everything is super adorable and nerdy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed this post :) The test tubes are awesome and I really want them for my desk.

      Delete