Thursday, March 26, 2015

March Thoughts: Money On My Mind


  

I don't know if its because of St. Patty's day, the fact that I can see the first sprigs of grass appearing amidst the melting snow, or simply because its my favorite color, but March has me seeing green...

And by green, I mean money.

I know that sounds terrible. After all, I'm a firm defender of the whole "money cant buy you happiness" principle.  But bear with me here as I continue my stream-of-consciousness-style typing. Up until three weeks ago I was an anxiety ridden mess who, through a series of unfortunate circumstances, had the good and also very bad fortune of finding herself among the unemployed. 

Why good? 
Because It gave me time to focus on projects like finding a new job.

Why bad?
Because I had to find a new job.

It was difficult, but as of three weeks ago, I managed to secure a really good job; one where I actually don't mind getting up early in the morning (Go Me!). After what I experienced in my previous job, I didn't believe such a thing was even possible. Though I dare say I have become a bit too dependent on coffee....but I digress.
With no job in sight and absent of a steady paycheck coming my way, my anxiety was at an all time high. What if I ran out of money? What if I missed the deadline for one of my loan payments? What if it took me months before I found another job? And what if, god forbid, it was like the previous one? Fortunately, none of those scenarios happened. This whole experience has given me a new appreciation for my parents, who have had to deal with the ups and downs of the job market for longer than I've been alive. That being said, I suppose the whole "worrying about money" concept is a serious milestone in the beginning stages of adulthood. And when I say worrying about money, I am not talking about "saving-for-that-concert" or "buying-that-dress" type of money saving. I am talking about financially mapping out your future. Some people start early when it comes to prepping their finances; others much too late. As for me? I don't honestly don't know where I am on that scale, but I'm hoping I'm on the early side of things.
I know how to balance a checkbook, I have a basic concept of what an IRA is, and I know when to save and when to hoard away my money like Smaug in The Hobbit. But do I know how to file taxes? No (my parents helped me). Do I know when or how to apply for a credit card? No. Do I know when I'll ever finish paying off my student loans....definitely not, but I shall consult the magic 8-ball on the matter because, lets face it, that's the only foresight I currently have (cue the violent shaking).

As I type, I know this whole thing is sounding like one of those lectures your parents gave you as you drove back to college to begin a new semester. I honestly don't mean for it to sound like that. I suppose I'm just nostalgic for the time when I didn't have to worry about establishing  a line of credit in order to apply for future loans, paying back current student loans, or if I'll ever be able to afford a house. I fondly remember a time when those concerns couldn't even penetrate my much younger skull....those were the days my friends....those were the days...
 I have had many safety nets to rescue me from the many pitfalls of life. However, this realization is accompanied by another; the realization that, in planning for the future...my finances will slowly play a greater role. Money certainly cannot buy happiness, that is an absolute fact, but if you plan accordingly, you need not worry about something as trivial as money getting in the way of your real goals. Cash is cold and hard, but life is too sometimes.

Maybe I'm just typing away like a madwoman here...does anyone else feel the same way? Share the same thoughts? Anybody else reach this milestone in adulthood? Let me know down in the comments.
As always, much love..
-Hayleigh

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, you're not alone. Being a functional adult is hella difficult. I talk about this allll the time with my other "functional adult" friends. I think we all had it in our heads (when we were much younger) that once you turned like 21, you'd immediately have it all figured out. Whether that was going to school (because you'd know exactly what you wanted to do...) then getting a great job, having ALL the money, and life would just sorta fall into place. But in reality we're all pretty much stumbling around trying to figure it out (...and keeping a sharp eye out for free food). No worries. Just keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Hannah! You are so right. I'm over 21 and I am still stumbling around. And my eyes are always looking out for free food. I never turn it down any more hahah :)

      Delete