Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Current Favorite T.V. Shows

Although my first love will always be the internet, I do (on occasion) find myself entranced by certain shows on T.V. To be perfectly honest though, my time spent in front of the television has decreased immensely since my senior year of high school. Considering all the crap that out there, that is probably for the best. Between the various projects I am working on, the books I am reading, the book I am trying to write etc., I don't get a lot of time to just veg out on the couch. 

There are however, exceptions to every rule. And in the case of these particular shows I am about to list, I will always find the time to sit and watch...no matter how busy I get.

 MY FAVORITE SHOWS
 
SHERLOCK
I said it once, I'll say it again...Gatiss and Moffat are geniuses. In this show, the classic adventures of Sherlock and Watson are adapted for a 21st century audience and thus they take place in modern London (well, most of their filming is done in Cardiff actually). Cumberbatch and Freeman are perfect in their roles as one of literature's first bromances. I have watched every episode of this show at least 10 times and, unlike Sherlock, I am never bored. I could go on and on for days about how much I adore this show, as well as the pain it causes me to have to wait for 2 or more years before I see another season. Though, as I said in my previous Sherlock-related post, the seasons of this show are short (3 episodes long), the wait is excruciating, but the end result is absolute perfection. Sherlock, hands down, is my favorite show on T.V. if not my favorite show of all time. 


 GAME OF THRONES
Oh, come on...like winter, you totally knew this was coming. Its the most successful show on television for a reason. Actually, it's the most successful show on television for a myriad of reasons. First, the world of Westeros is incredible or, to be more specific, the set design and filming locations are incredible. The crew behind game of thrones travels all over the place including Belfast, Croatia, Seville etc. Most of the time, all this traveling is to film a single episode. Second, the acting in this show is absolutely superb. With every new season I become more and more invested in the characters and their stories. I am particularly interested in where Tyrion will end up in season 5. The last reason I love this show is that absolutely no one is safe! Just when I think my favorite characters have managed to escape harm, they end up beheaded, poisoned or they get their skulls crushed! Game of thrones always leaves me wanting more and, for that reason, I will always sit down and watch.


 
HANNIBAL
I'll admit, as a big Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs fan, I was extremely skeptical when I first heard NBC was going to air a show about the famous psychologist with cannibalistic tendencies and the criminal profiler Will Graham. Knowing the subject matter, I had a number of questions in my mind about how this particular network was going to pull off such a dark and gory project. What would it even look like? How much could they actually show the audience? And, most importantly, who could possibly take over the role of Hannibal Lecter; a role that the great Sir Anthony Hopkins perfected? Well, after watching the first two seasons, I can definitely say that 1) the show looks pretty damn good 2) they show A TON of cringe-worthy material 3) Mads Mikkleson provides an intimidating yet elegant Hannibal the Cannibal. Hugh Dancy, who plays the shows protagonist Will Graham, is also worthy of high praise. The show takes place prior to the events which occurred in the movie Red Dragon which initially sparked my curiosity...now the show has my full attention. I cannot wait for season 3 this summer. 


DOCTOR WHO
We are all just stories in the end, and this show by far has the longest running story ever; the story of the doctor and his companions. While I am not entirely caught up, I have an overwhelming love for this show and its characters. It never fails to amaze me how much detail they can cram into a single episode. However, given that Moffat is a writer on the show, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. There are very few shows out there that I can give credit to for taking me on such an emotional roller-coaster; this is one of them. Don't even get me started on the episode where the Doctor meets Van Gogh....I balled like a baby. With every new planet the doctor visits, with every new creature he encounters and lastly, with every heart wrenching season finale..I find myself hoping that one day there will be a blue police box waiting for me outside my house to take me on adventures. Alas, I might just have to be content with sipping tea from this Tardis mug while I eat a sandwich packed in a Tardis lunchbox...and yes, I actually have both of those. 


VIKINGS
I have always been fascinated by Viking culture. Long thought of as bloodthirsty savages with horned helmets, real vikings were, in truth, as clever as they were fearsome. Their ingenuity, resourcefulness, and their knack for strategy in battle are what allowed them to acquire a reputation as powerful adversaries. They also had an extremely enlightened view towards women given the time period (women could divorce, own property, even rule!). What I love most about the show Vikings is that all of the elements I have just expressed come into play. The best part? The main character of the story, Ragnar Lothbrok, was a real person!...well, at least according to old Norse poetry and several sagas. Still, the fact that he might have existed prompted my initial viewing of the show. Now, I am addicted. The show is well acted and, looking at the costumes and sets, its clear that a lot of work and thought has been infused into every single episode. I highly recommend this show.



GIRLS
Like a lot of people, I had some preconceived notions about HBO's show Girls. I mean, the show revolves around a young writer and her 3 friends who are all trying to survive in New York... of course I thought it was going to be the new Sex and the City. Who didn't? Now the show is in its third season and I find myself eager to watch every single episode. Even the behind-the-scenes videos fascinate me. Maybe the reason behind this obsession is because the show highlights a lot of the challenges faced by women my age including: surviving post-collegiate life, finding what it means to be truly independent, and learning from/embracing the mistakes you make as you carve your path towards success. I both admire and appreciate what Lena Dunham has done with Girls. I also admire and appreciate the woman herself! Girls has distinguished itself from the series Sex in the City in virtually every sense and, in many instances, it has surpassed it.

Do you also have an obsession for these shows or have other T.V. obsessions you'd like to share? If you do, comment below :)

Much Love,
-Hayleigh



4 comments:

  1. Hannibal, GoT & Sherlock are my absolute faves I am counting down the hours till they are back on my TV! I have to admit I'm not loving the latest series of Doctor Who so much but I'll give it a chance as my Dad has been watching the show his whole life and I only really got into it a couple years ago so I like that it's something we can watch and nerd out about together xoxo

    ♥ Cateaclysmic ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response Cate! I haven't seen the latest season of Doctor Who, I'm curious about Peter Capaldi but I miss my tenth doctor oh so much :( That;s so great that you and your dad share that :) Maybe one of these days I can get mine to watch it....

      Delete
  2. I love Sherlock so much! I think it's a shame there are so few episodes each season.

    I don't know the Vikings series, but from the perspective of an archaeologist specialized in that time period I always have trouble watching series like that. Same goes for Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad to meet another Sherlockian :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete