Thursday, February 19, 2015

Tricks To Fight Off The Winter Blues

There are plenty of people out there who love Winter, I however cannot count myself amongst them.

(Source)


There are several reasons why. Firstly, my body cannot handle any temperature that falls below 35 °F. I have a habit of turning into a human-popsicle even if I go out dressed like Ralphie's brother from A Christmas Story. The second reason is that I suck at winter sports and, believe me, I've tried them all. The last time I tried to ski I flew over a fence and ended up in a snowbank headfirst. Third, whenever I see the movie Frozen I am reminded of the time my friend and I got stuck on a snow-covered mountain and had to climb down, in the dark, on one of the coldest nights imaginable...but that is a story for another time. Needless to say, there was no animated snowman to help guide us on that little adventure.

This winter has been particularly difficult as I live in New England. Over the past couple of weeks, my area has been hit with snowstorm after snowstorm. Most of the weather channels here have made "winter is coming" their personal catchphrase  There is so much snow outside that I am pretty sure I will wake up one morning and find a polar bear sitting atop my car. Every time I stare out my window at the winter wonderland below, I find myself filled with nothing but disdain.

I haven't always been this way. If I am being completely honest I do feel a little flutter of excitement whenever the first snowflakes of the year appear. Still, I am more of a Summer/Fall person. I take no pleasure in being cooped up indoors (despite all the time I spend online), in fact, lately I find myself catching a bit of the old "Winter Blues".

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ce/e3/9d/cee39dba2f3de5f3f78e102d97e11b01.jpg
(Source)
What is the Winter Blues? Well, according to the Mayo Clinic, the Winter Blues is also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and its characterized by "Irritability, low energy, hypersensitivity, oversleeping, Appetite changes etc" For me, the Winter Blues amounts to waking up around 10:30, sitting on my couch in my bathrobe for long periods watching The Great British Bake Off. I also find myself lamenting over the fact that sunny/warm weather seems eons away and, to quote Sam Smith...I'm not the only one (see what I did there? eh?)

So, without further delay here is a list of things things you can do to help to defeat the wintery curse...

1. Bottle That Sh*t.
Wanna find a way to get rid of that snow AND make money at the same time? Well, according to the Boston Globe, one guy in Manchester already did. Apparently he decided to take the snow in his front yard, bottle it, and sell it to places in Florida and California. Don't ask me how you get it to stay frozen in transit and, in my opinion, it might be a difficult business to break into. However, what if it did take off?! You could use that money to go to someplace warm like Aruba! TAKE ME WITH YOU?!!

2. Green It Up!
Plants are good to have in your house all year round. However, in winter it is especially nice to see something green and alive when everything else is gray and bare. I recommend growing your own bonsai, my parents have one and it has been alive and thriving for 30 years! Plus, you get the added bonus of extra oxygen in your place. 

3. Open The Windows
I know this one seems like a given. But if its an especially sunny day, open the windows, sit down next to one of them, and read a book. Soaking up that vitamin D will help with irritability and help adjust your circadian rhythm which tends to get messed up when its dark most of the day.

4. Dip Into An Indoor Pool
I recently went on a little getaway and the hotel had a lovely indoor pool. It may not have been the same as swimming in the ocean on a summer day, but it did help improve my mood quite a bit.

5. Have An Outdoor Barbecue :)
If you have an outdoor grill, wipe off the snow and start cooking. Invite your family/friends over too so you can pull yourself further into the delusion that you are having summer barbecue. As for food, I recommend taking chicken, pork or other meats and marinading them using tropical flavors like mango's or oranges etc.

6. Drive To The Gym
While I'm not exactly a fan of pushups or weights, I do really like giving my legs a chance to stretch out on the treadmill. I said it once, I'll say it again, exercise helps reduce stress and improves your mood. Plus, at an indoor gym you are sheltered from the chilly air.

7. Bikini Shopping
I have been spotting some really cute swimsuits in stores. If you are looking to add a new one to your summer wardrobe, I recommend getting them now while they are cheap. Also, swimsuit shopping will make you feel like summer is right around the corner. My fav's that I have seen so far are here, here, and here.

8.  Visit A Greenhouse!
This one kind of expands upon  #2 of the list. But seriously, Greenhouses are a great place to visit if you are looking for something fun to do in the winter. As an added bonus, they are very warm and filled with all sorts of beautiful plants and flowers. Some of them, like The Botanic Garden of Smith College, Northampton MA are so big you'll feel like you've stepped into the jungle. Take a look at the photos I posted on Instagram!

 Well I'm afraid that's the end of this list. If you have any other ideas for beating the winter blues, or you complete something from this list let me know in the comments :) I think its safe to say I'm looking forward to creating a more summer themed post in the future. So, to all of you guys who are feeling a bit of cabin fever this February, brave the snow and go have adventures!

Much Love,
Hayleigh








6 comments:

  1. MAYBE if the temps were above freezing I'd grill outside but it's still too cold for that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's an idea that applies to 30 degrees and up, its pretty brisk out there hahah

      Delete
  2. After running yesterday through a foot of snow, I can safely say I'm also looking forward to spring. To give myself some hope, I look for Spring outfits I want to buy to wear this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the same Emily, I have a bunch of shirts I cannot yet wear...I'm really looking forward to temps above 40 degrees :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! I myself long for Spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete